Sunday, March 11, 2012

Balsamic-Glazed Carrots with Lentils, Herbs and Goat Cheese


Little did I know when I moved into my new flat that it would be dangerously close to Ottolenghi, one of my new favorite places to go for brunch or to get takeaway from. They have the most appealing spread of baked goods and salads displayed in their window, and I have rarely walked out of there without dropping 20 quid on various treats. This salad is inspired by one I tried there a few weeks ago. I put everything on a bed of wild rocket, but if you do so be sure to dress the rocket so that the salad is not too dry. This dish can be served warm or cold, and is good with the addition of walnuts as well.

Ingredients:
  • lentils, rinsed and drained
  • butter (I used goat's milk butter because it's all I had on hand -- don't judge!)
  • carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch batons
  • honey
  • balsamic vinegar
  • olive oil
  • herbs (I used a mix of dill, parsley, oregano, and lemon thyme)
  • goat cheese
  • wild rocket (optional)
  • walnuts (optional)
Steps:
  1.  Cook the lentils in salted water according to package instructions. (I boiled them for 10 minutes, then simmered them for 20 minutes before draining the liquid.) Set aside. 
  2. Heat the butter in a saucepan and sauté the carrots for 6 minutes. Add the honey, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook another 5 minutes, until slightly caramelized and tender.  (I used equal parts butter, honey and balsamic vinegar - about 3 T each for approximately 1 pound of carrots.)
  3. While the carrots are cooking, toss the lentils with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, additional salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the fresh herbs. Dress rocket in the same manner, if using.
  4. To assemble, place the rocket on a plate, top with the lentils, carrots, crumbled goat cheese, and walnuts (if using), then drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 
Serving size varies

No comments: